Okay, I’m not trying to brag, but I was blessed with blemish-free skin for most of my young adult life. Then, 30 hit. Body acne and pimples started to pop up in places they’ve never been before, and I’m not going to lie, I had many slight meltdowns due to this new skin phase of mine.
After many manic trips to my dermatologist, I set out to understand adult acne, and most importantly, how to get rid of body acne.
This article will break down everything you need to know about body acne and what you can do about it.
Article At A Glance
- What is body acne?
- Types of acne
- Adult acne: Is it normal?
- How to get rid of body acne
What Is Body Acne?
Unfortunately, blackheads and pimples aren’t just confined to your face. They can pop up anywhere on the body, causing body acne. Body acne can occur on the chest, shoulders, upper arms, your butt, and of course, the back, which has been cleverly named, “bacne”.
Don’t worry, body acne can happen to anyone, including adults! Adult acne and body acne are caused by overactive oil glands, an excess of dead skin cells, and/or an increase in acne-causing bacteria.
Because your upper body has many sebaceous glands, adult acne typically happens here. Sebaceous glands are microscopic organs that create sebum, which is an oily substance that lubricates the skin, so your follicles are more likely to become plugged with oil and dead skin cells, causing body acne (1).
Types of acne
There are several different types of acne. Understanding which type you are experiencing can help you with treatment, and tell you how to get rid of body acne.
- Blackheads—Blackheads can happen when a pore is clogged with sebum and dead skin cells. The deeper part of the skin’s pore is clogged, while the top of the blackhead stays open, which is why it appears black on the skin.
- Whiteheads–Whiteheads form the same way as blackheads, but unlike blackheads, the top of the pore closes up.
- Papules–Papules occur when your pores have become inflamed. This usually results in hard, clogged pores, and can leave your skin pink or red around the area.
- Pustules–Adult acne can also take on the form of pustules. Pustules are inflamed pimples, and are filled with pus. They are raised red bumps on the skin, and often have whiteheads on the top.
- Nodules–Nodules occur when swollen, clogged pores are further irritated, causing them to go deeper underneath the skin.
- Cysts–Cysts are large, pus-filled lesions, and occur when the pores are clogged by a combination of bacteria, sebum, and dead skin cells. Just like nodules, cyst clogs also occur deep within the skin’s surface.
No matter what type of adult acne you may be dealing with, there are several answers for how to get rid of body acne. We’ll talk about some solutions below, and as always, speak with your dermatologist before starting any treatment, to find the best solution for you and your specific situation.
Is Adult Acne Normal?
Yes, adult acne is completely normal! It typically occurs for the same reasons adolescent acne happens, but there are other factors that may contribute to it as well. Things like hormones, stress, and menstrual cycles can play a role in adult acne (2). Medications and diet can also influence adult acne, so be sure to speak with your doctor if this is a concern.
How To Get Rid Of Body Acne
And now for the burning question: “How to get rid of body acne”.
1. Wash. Wash. Wash.
I’m not just talking about your body, I’m talking about your personal belongings, too! Oil and sweat build-up can occur on everyday household items including bed sheets, your favorite yoga mat, and your towels. Washing these and your body regularly can help prevent future breakouts.
2. Salycitic acid
Over-the-counter face and body washes that contain salicylic acid can help unclog pores and reduce inflammation. If you’re using an exfoliant, be careful not to scrub too hard. Exfoliating the body too harshly can overdry the skin, which causes your skin to produce more oil, therefore leading to, you guessed it, more acne.
3. Red superfood powder
Antioxidant-rich red superfood powder, like Beauty Juice, contains anti-inflammatory superfood ingredients for healthy, glowing skin. Adding this into your daily regimen can help fight off inflammation which can prevent future breakouts. What’s even better is how easy it is to incorporate into your daily life. Simply mix one scoop of the delicious acai berry powder with water and that’s it! So, sit back, relax, and let the 36 skin-loving ingredients do the work for you!
The Bottom Line On Body Acne
Body acne is a difficult pill for anyone to swallow, but there are things you can do to help prevent and treat it. These simple tips and tricks are easy, at-home solutions so you can keep your confidence soaring high and wave acne goodbye!