Making your own Insta-worthy smoothie bowl has never been easier with this healthy pitaya bowl recipe! All you need is a few ingredients, a blender, and our secret ingredient!
You’ve probably seen a pretty, hot pink bowl on Instagram or in a local smoothie bowl shop called a ‘Pitaya Bowl’. Also referred to as dragon fruit, this brightly colored tropical fruit has about 20 different species and is part of the cactus family. While known mostly for being totally photogenic, this popular new fruit is actually packed with tons of nutrients. So what is a pitaya bowl, exactly? It’s a frozen smoothie bowl (think of an acai bowl) with pitaya as the main ingredient. Aside from eating it raw, bowls are one of the easiest ways to incorporate it into your existing diet. Just throw it in the mixer! The best part about our pitaya bowl recipe is that it’s easy to switch it up. You can change up the toppings each day, sub the mango for papaya, the options are endless!
What Is A Pitaya Bowl?
A pitaya bowl is simply a smoothie bowl made with pitaya, more commonly known as dragon fruit. The unique texture of pitaya gives the bowl a smooth, creamy consistency. It can be combined with other fruits such as bananas, mangos, strawberries, frozen coconut, anything! The most fun part is the toppings. Add anything from dried fruits and nuts to coconut shreds or cacao nibs. Bowls are great because you can make them as decadent or as simple as you’d like. Pitaya also makes for a great sorbet or ice cream alternative. If you need a dairy-free option at your next brunch or picnic, pitaya bowls are a fun and delicious substitute. Our pitaya bowl recipe can easily be doubled or quadrupled for sharing!
Are Pitaya Bowls Healthy?
Based on their natural sweetness and dessert-like qualities, you might be wondering if pitaya bowls are actually healthy for you. Well, the good news is that they’re very healthy! Especially when you add a protein-rich collagen supplement, like SkinnyFit Super Youth, to the mixture.
Benefits of Pitaya
These are only a few of the many health benefits you can expect when you add pitaya to your diet:
- Boosts immunity—Pitaya is jam-packed with flavonoids, which are super beneficial molecules for the immune system. Flavonoids are antioxidants best known for their anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-cancer properties.  These molecules are especially important because they help to keep the body immune to everyday toxins and viruses. Being high on the antioxidant list, pitaya also helps to reduce free radicals. 
- Anti-aging—Phosphorus is a major contributor to adults’ youthful glow. Being one of the most abundant elements in the human body, it’s important to keep our existing cells healthy and repair the ones in need. Pitaya is a great source of phosphorus, and in addition to anti-aging, it helps to balance hormones, maintain a healthy metabolism and helps to create ATP for energy. All of which also just so happen to help slow the aging process. Win-win! [3, 4, 5] What’s even better is this particular pitaya bowl contains even more skin-loving ingredients since it’s blended with Super Youth collagen. To learn more about the beauty benefits of collagen, be sure to read Collagen For Skin and Collagen For Hair & Nails!
- Stabilizes blood sugar—Dragon fruit, pitaya, has been shown to benefit symptoms of diabetes such as insulin resistance and stabilizing blood sugar levels.  This is probably due to its fiber content and high levels of antioxidants. So many people, especially women, fear fruit. While it does contain higher levels of fructose than, say, vegetables, it is undoubtedly a better option than an artificially sweetened treat. Not only is pitaya delicious, but it can be a great alternative to dessert, particularly if you have a family history of hyperglycemia.
Pitaya Bowl Nutrition Facts
Here are the nutrition facts for this delicious pitaya bowl recipe:
- Total Calories: 300 calories
- Protein: 18g
- Carbs: 52g (from fruit)
- Fat: 3g
- Sugar: 33g (natural)
- Fiber: 8g
Where Can I Buy Pitaya?
Pitaya can be found and purchased pretty easily if you have access to health food markets or live by a larger farmers’ market. For ease and the purpose of our pitaya bowl recipe, you can buy pitaya pre-packaged and frozen in the store. They will come already chopped and cubed in a bag in the freezer section with other frozen fruits and vegetables. For raw pitaya, check the produce section. You will want to purchase ones that are more pink than green in color, for ripeness, and make sure the ‘wings’ of the fruit are not dry and withered. To get to the fruit, simply slice the fruit in half and scoop out with a spoon!
Now, are you ready to create your very own beautiful pitaya bowl? Let’s get started…
Healthy Pitaya Bowl Recipe
- 1 cup of frozen pitaya
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup of frozen mango chunks
- 2 scoops Super Youth Collagen, Unflavored
- ½ - 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice
- Optional toppings: Sliced kiwi, white dragon fruit, shredded coconut, chia seeds
- Add all ingredients (aside from toppings) into a blender. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until thick and smooth adding the milk in slowly. Continuing adding milk until the consistency is thick and creamy.
- Pour into large bowl and add assorted toppings. Eat immediately.