This recipe turns your everyday veggies into a healthy, yet tasty culinary masterpiece! Learn how easy it is to chef-up a delicious grilled veggie salad from scratch!
The art of making an amazing grilled veggie salad; a skill that doesn’t come naturally to most of us (me included!). I’d always wondered what I was doing wrong. Why did the grilled summer salads at the restaurants look and taste so delicious, while my homemade salads just didn’t make the grade? Many years and hundreds of reps later, I can finally say I’ve nailed it—and this grilled vegetable salad recipe is one of my favorites. It’s light, fresh, juicy, and best of all—it’s healthy! So without further ado—let’s make a sweet and juicy grilled vegetable salad, people!
Grilled Vegetable Salad Ingredients
There are no hard and fast rules around what veggies you can use in your grilled vegetable salad, but here are a few of my favorites. The veggies that made the list are not only very tasty when grilled, but offer a number of health benefits.
- Zucchini—Fun fact; Although zucchini is often considered a vegetable, it is botanically classified as a fruit. It occurs in several varieties, which range in color from deep yellow to dark green. It’s rich in vitamin A, provides immune support and is promotes healthy digestion (1)
- Bell Pepper—Red, Orange, and Yellow Bell Peppers are full of great health benefits—they’re packed with vitamins and low in calories! They are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium. Bell Peppers also contain a healthy dose of fiber, folate, and iron and are high in antioxidants (2).
- Yellow Squash—Talk about a power-packed veggie! Yellow Squash a.k.a. Summer squash provides numerous health benefits. It’s high in vitamins A, B6, and C, folate, magnesium, fiber, riboflavin, phosphorus, and potassium (3).
- Eggplant—Eggplant has antioxidants like vitamins A and C, which help protect your cells against damage. It’s also high in natural plant chemicals called polyphenols, which may help cells do a better job of processing sugar if you have diabetes (4).
- Red Onion—Onions contain antioxidants and compounds that fight inflammation, decrease triglycerides and reduce cholesterol levels — all of which may lower heart disease risk. Their potent anti-inflammatory properties may also help reduce high blood pressure and protect against blood clots.
- Tomatoes— you say tomato, I say tomato! This nutrient-dense superfood offers benefits to a range of bodily systems. Its nutritional content supports healthful skin, weight loss, and heart health.
- Creamy Italian Dressing—For this grilled veggie salad we’re not using just any creamy Italian dressing, we’re using a delicious, healthy multi-collagen infused creamy Italian dressing! You can check out the easy recipe here. The health benefits range from stronger, more beautiful hair, skin and nails to immune and digestive health, so be sure to check it out!
What To Serve With A Grilled Veggie Salad
Now, of course you can eat your grilled summer salad a la carte, but what fun would that be? If you’re thinking about what to pair your delicious, sweet and juicy grilled veggie salad with, here are a few ideas that make your meal complete.
- Bbq Chicken— Since you’re already on the grill, why not throw a little chicken on the grill alongside your veggies? Take it off the grill and baste it with tangy bbq sauce and you’ve got yourself a delicious summer meal!
- Fresh Fish—Salmon, halibut, or whatever fish your tummy desires! Fish and fresh veggies are a dynamic duo any day of the week in my household. Add the mouthwatering smoked flavor from the grill and you have an undeniable dish that is as tasty as it is healthy!
- Kabobs—I can just see it now. Condensation dripping down my bottle of cold beer, savory kabobs on the grill and a dynamic summer salad full of nutritious veggies, that my friends, is my happy place. Could be yours too! Kabobs are the ultimate summer food and there are so many ways to make them, that’s why you can’t lose with this pairing.
- Pasta Salad—what doesn’t pasta salad go with? You can make your own, or pick some up from the market, plate and serve!
- Fresh Fruit—You can dice up your favorite fruits and make a fruit salad to go with your grilled veggie salad to create a super healthy vegan-friendly summer meal.
- White wine—last but definitely not least—the wine! This is obviously more than my favorite option to pair with a juicy grilled summer salad, it’s probably yours too. But it’s true, a glass of white wine and a grilled veggie salad is a fine way to spend a summer afternoon, just saying!
Grilled Vegetable Salad Recipe
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 red onion
- 1 eggplant
- 2 tomatoes
- ¼ cup Italian dressing (recipe linked in instructions)
- ¼ cup Feta cheese
- Heat up your BBQ grill. If you don’t have a BBQ, heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil on a grill pan or a cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Place your vegetables onto the pan or grill and cook on all sides until the outside is charred. (Black grill marks are a good sign!).
- Chop the grilled vegetables into cubes or strips and place into a large bowl. Pour about ¼ cup of the creamy Italian dressing and mix into the vegetables. Sprinkle in the feta cheese and serve immediately.