This activated charcoal detox drink will help flush your body of harmful toxins to help you shed water weight, fight bloating, and boost immunity!
Charcoal may not sound like an appetizing drink ingredient, and you may closely associate it with barbecue, or even Christmas. However, I am here to change your mind (and your life.) I’ve been making activated charcoal detox drinks for a few years now, and they are one of my favorite recipes. So why a charcoal detox, you ask? It’s great for flushing out built up toxins, and cleansing the system. Making it a fantastic hangover cure.
Now don’t go stealing a few nuggets of your dad or husbands grilling charcoal, it is CRUCIAL that you understand you can only consume food-grade charcoal to make an activated charcoal detox drink. They are very different. Ok, I’m glad we had that talk.
Now, on to the good stuff!
What Is A Charcoal Detox?
A charcoal detox is not like a juice cleanse, or a sugar detox. It’s simply a drink you can take during times of excessive poor eating or drinking. For example, when I visit my family in the south, I always bring a little baggy of charcoal with me. Starting my morning with it helps flush out the system of foods I normally wouldn’t be eating, like fried food and inflammatory oils. Similar with hangovers, a charcoal detox drink is a great way to gently detoxify your system in a palatable way.
Benefits Of An Activated Charcoal Drink
While taste is definitely a bonus, the real treat of an activated charcoal detox drink is all of the amazing benefits it comes with! Here are some of my favorite:
- Antibacterial—Charcoal contains natural antibacterial properties, making an activated charcoal detox a great way to kill off unwanted bacteria. One study even showed the difference in oral bacteria from charcoal bristle toothbrushes vs non-charcoal bristles! 
- Helpful for Removing Toxins—Incorporating charcoal into your diet may help to remove unwanted toxins from the body. This is one of the main reasons so many water filtration systems include charcoal! 
- Reduces Gas—Whether you’re experiencing some untimely gas or you struggle with SIBO, having an activated charcoal detox drink recipe may be a useful tool to have on hand! 
- Great Absorbent—To put it simply, charcoal is great for minimizing diarrhea. Because it helps gastrointestinal absorbency, charcoal can help to reduce, or even help avoid, experiencing diarrhea. 
IMPORTANT: Since charcoal is so incredible at detoxing, you want to make sure you do not take it within a 2 hour period of any medication or vitamins you take. This will often flush them out of your system, and not be absorbed properly. If you’re hesitant about drinking charcoal on your current medication, work with your doctor before using.
How To Make An Activated Charcoal Drink
I love making this activated charcoal drink recipe because it’s so good and comes together in no time! The first thing you’re going to need to do is brew some Skinny Fit Detox tea. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or flash freeze it for about 10-15 minutes. Once cooled, grab a 12-16 oz glass that has a lid. Add all of your ingredients to the glass (except the orange peel, if using) and give it a good shake. Once the charcoal seems to be incorporated (this should only take about 15-20 seconds), you can pour over a new glass with ice, or drink it right out of the glass you used to shake it up in. Enjoy!
Activated Charcoal Detox Drink
- 1 cup Detox, brewed and chilled
- ¼ tbsp maple syrup or agave
- ⅛ cup lemon juice
- ⅛ cup orange juice
- ½-1 tsp activated charcoal
- Orange peel for garnish
Add all ingredients to a glass with a fitted lid, and shake well. Add ice and orange peel garnish, if desired.